Hibernating Bear Livestream
Tai Chi & Qi Gong Online Class
The Hibernating Bear lessons offer a more gentle approach to training Tai Chi and Qigong. The weekly Zoom livestream class include seated and standing movements, guiding you through gentle tension relief, physical relaxation and meditation techniques. Give momentum to self-care, boost your mental health and support your physical body with kindness. Open to everyone, for all abilities, for all ages especially those living with chronic health, chronic pain and chronic fatigue, senior citizens, and anybody who would like to nourish the mind and body through relaxing movement and stillness. Beginners welcome to join.
4 x video on demand classes p/month
- Upcoming Dates: 2, 9, 16, 23 November and 7, 14, 21, 28 December.
- Regular Classes: 1 per week, totalling 4 per month.
- Lesson Duration: 1 hour.
- Day/Time: Video recording uploaded by Thursday evening.
- Access: Via Vimeo on demand for one month.
- Support: Contact Nicola via the Patreon support group.
- Instructor: Nicola of Earth Balance Tai Chi.
- Note: This is not a live class on Zoom. Study at a time and pace that suits you via catch up videos on demand.
Everyone is welcome from 18 years to 80 plus. These lessons are open to beginner level students upwards, no experience needed. To have the best experience during the live streams you must be physically able to follow along with the class for 1 hour. You need space to step two to three times in any direction. These classes are a mixture of:
- Seated presentation and discussion.
- Seated or standing loosening exercises.
- Seated or standing breath work.
- Seated or standing Tai Chi and Qigong movements.
- Seated or lying down relaxation and meditation session.
If you have complex health needs where bespoke tuition is needed, these lessons are taught as online private tuition where you work with instructor Nicola directly. Please contact Nicola with any questions about whether you are suitable to participate in the livestream.
- Cost: £15 + VAT per month subscription.
- 4 x Hibernating Bear classes per month.
- New uploads on Vimeo on Thursdays.
- All video recordings available for 1 month.
- Access to the Hibernating Bear private community, patron only posts, chronic health support & connection with others.
- Cost: £5 + VAT per month subscription.
- 1 x Hibernating Bear classes per month.
- New uploads on Vimeo on the first Thursday of the month.
- All video recordings available for 1 month.
What you will learn
- Gentle loosening exercises to warm the body.
- The warm up exercises are a diagnostic to show where the body/mind are on that day, the lesson is then guided by that position.
- Relaxing deep breathing and soft movement techniques to calm the mind.
- Stress and the relaxation response.
- Standing or seated meditation practice.
- Standing or seated Qigong movements.
- Chen style Tai Chi and Qigong exercises and drills that train both sides of the body, demonstrating the importance of physical symmetry.
- What makes Tai Chi and Qigong sophisticated forms of healthy movement exercises, why they are different to other exercises?
- Learn how posture, breathing and awareness apply to your daily life.
- Develop body sensitivity to understand the different types of pain within the body, to use pain as a diagnostic.
- Learn how to progressively build up to a regular exercise routine and the importance of frequency.
- The importance of not pushing passed your body’s tolerance, to avoid extremes and train moderately at 60-70-80% (ebb and flow).
- Learn to stop fighting the body and how to truly relax the muscle and soft tissue structure.
- Protecting the weak points and strengthening problem areas.
- Learning about stability, balance and fall prevention in a slow, safe and controlled way.
- How to maximise the lymph system to detox and flush out toxins.
- Expansion and compression of the joint system for improved health, exploring the major joints and the spine.
- How to self manage life with chronic pain and chronic fatigue.
- Acceptance through the absence of resistance, the meaning of true physical relaxation.
- Working through challenges and struggle in the learning process with kindness.
- Movement and stillness compassion exercises.
- Introduction to easy to learn meditation and mindfulness practices.
N.B. This is not tuition where you will learn a Tai Chi routine or a qigong set. The focus is on Tai Chi movements, drills and exercises for health. Especially correcting and maintaining physical alignment, with deep muscular / soft tissue /joint movements and diaphragmatic breathing.
Hibernating Bear Tai Chi is for students looking to/for…
- Be flexible and adaptive in your Tai Chi and Qigong practice, to be able to sit or stand.
- Aid recovery from injury or illness.
- Help ease the symptoms of living with chronic or degenerative health conditions.
- A more gentle and relaxed approach to exercise.
- To gain confidence before attending a public class.
- To get back into exercise after being sedentary.
- Would like to learn in the privacy of the home.
- A class where all ages and all abilities are welcome.
Video Catch Up: The lessons are recorded in 1080p HD, you will have access to either 1-4 weeks via Vimeo. Once your subscription is active, you will be sent the Vimeo link.
Contact: Any questions please contact Nicola here.
Caveat: Please note that learning online is not a replacement for in person classes. Tai Chi and Qigong should ideally be taught in a hands on manner, where movement, posture and alignment corrections are given and shown physically.
Requirements: A good size PC monitor, a good internet connection and computer speakers. Best suited to a laptop or home PC. Mobile devices are not suitable for the livestream as the screen size is too small.
Legal: We are based in the UK and governed by UK jurisdiction.