Your Location: This service is currently only available in Europe.
Payments / Tuition Fees: The cost is £35 per hour for private online tuition. If you would like to be considered for a discounted rate please contact Nicola. Thank you. To book a 10 week course specifically focusing on living with chronic pain, visit this page.
About: The online hibernating bear lessons are without expectations, judgement or disadvantage. This class is designed for those who would like to learn how to be active in their health recovery and self-management. Nicola embraces this ethos in her teachings. She has distilled her professional training to pass on the most effective methods for improving health and wellbeing through authentic Tai Chi and Qigong movements. Find out more information about Hibernating Bear through this link. Read ‘Travel with Hope‘, an interview from one of Nicola’s students who lives with parkinson’s disease and practices qigong.
What You Will Learn
- Gentle loosening exercises to warm the body
- The warm up exercises are a diagnostic to to show where the body/mind are on that day, the lesson is then guided by that position
- Relaxing deep breathing and soft movement techniques to calm the mind
- Standing meditation practice
- Qigong movements
- Chen style Tai Chi and Qigong exercises and drills that train both sides of the body
- What makes Tai Chi and Qigong sophisticated forms of healthy movement exercises
- Learn how posture, breathing and awareness apply to your daily life
- Learn how to progressively to build up to a regular exercise routine and the importance of frequency
- The importance of not pushing passed your body’s tolerance, to avoid extremes and train moderately at 60-70-80% (ebb and flow)
- Learn to stop fighting the body and how to truly relax the muscle and soft tissue structure
N.B. This is not tuition where you will learn a Tai Chi routine or a qigong set. The focus is on Tai Chi movements, drills and exercises for health. Especially correcting and maintaining physical alignment, with deep muscular / soft tissue /joint movements and diaphragmatic breathing.
Hibernating Bear Tai Chi is for Students Looking to…
- Be flexible in your Tai Chi and Qigong practice, whether seated, standing etc.
- Aid recovery from injury or illness
- Help ease the symptoms of living with chronic or degenerative health conditions
- Learn to aid chronic fatigue
- To gain confidence before attending a public class
- To get back into exercise after being sedentary
- Would like to learn in the privacy of the home
Suited To: These lessons are open to beginner level students upwards, where no experience is needed. Everyone is welcome from 18 years to 80 plus. New Hibernating Bear students will be required to complete a questionnaire and medical history form prior to their lesson.
Online Lessons Caveat: Please note that tutoring Tai Chi and Qigong online is not a replacement for private tuition in person or attending public classes. Both of these practices should ideally be taught in a hands on manner, where movement, posture and alignment corrections are given and shown physically.
Format: Over Zoom, Skype or Facebook video call, your instructor Nicola will guide you through live online private tuition (one to one). The lesson will be a mixture of instructor demonstration, student observation, practice and correction. This is your lesson, so will be led by you.
Duration: One hour.
Advance Payment Method: Debit or credit card via Paypal only (you do not need a Paypal account).
Requirements: Highspeed broadband internet connection, web camera, computer microphone, computer speakers. Your webcam must be set up and tested in advance so that your whole body is shown in the video screen with speakers and microphone working.
Bookings: Once you have purchased this product, instructor Nicola will contact you to arrange your lesson time. If you would like to check in advance whether a particular time/date is available, please contact Nicola in advance.
Terms: 24 hours notice for cancellations, no refunds within this time frame.
As with all medical conditions, injuries and/or ill-health, please consult with your Doctor prior to starting a class. Tai Chi, Qigong and Meditation are not a replacement for conventional medical treatment. All students will be required to complete a medical history form prior to joining a class.