Tai Chi Instructor
Where Movement Follows Nature
"The best part of teaching Tai Chi and Qigong is passing on the contagion of passionate learning. At the end of a lesson when a student is smiling from ear to ear with childlike excitement, those moments are to be cherished."
Hello, I am Nicola, the owner and instructor at Earth Balance Tai Chi. Welcome to my school of Chen Tai Chi, Qi Gong and Taoist meditation, where I teach the Classical Chinese arts for health, happiness and longevity.
I have been a Tai Chi and Qigong student since 2006. I have taught classes within the community since 2010 and have been teaching group and private classes online via Zoom since 2016. I live with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS), a genetic connective tissue dysfunction, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and persistent pain disorder. These are medical labels for groups of symptoms that are not understood by allopathic doctors.
During the first few years of my Tai Chi and Qigong journey as a student, I found the movements so beneficial for my health that it led me to become an instructor. My personal journey has given me a unique understanding of chronic health, relating to healthy exercise, pain management, working gracefully with chronic fatigue, training to my baseline, and managing the psychological aspects of chronic health. Combine this with professional study of the human body in movement and stillness, brings us up to today.
Living with EDS, there is an unpredictable nature to the degenerative effects. As I age, the management of my base-line is becoming much more intense. Every movement I make in my practice has purpose, focus, principles and alignment. I meet each day, no matter how challenging, with hope and perseverance, as everyday holds potential, even in times of rest and rejuvenation. My aim as an instructor is to show people that there are other routes to improved health and wellbeing, rather than reliance on allopathic medicine and our crumbling health service. All treatments within my management programme are naturopathic and holistic. Healthy, frequent and accurate Tai Chi/Qigong movements are a key part of my managing my health and wellbeing and I hope that I can pass my dedication to others.
My personal Tai Chi studies have included Southern Wu Short Form, Old Yang Long Form, Bagua Zhang, Chen 18 Form, Chen Laojia Yi Lu, Chen Double Fan, Chen Laojia Er Lu, Chen sword and Chen sabre. My personal Qi Gong training has included 5 Animal Frolics, 8 Pieces of Brocade, Hun Yuan Qi Gong, Earth Qi Gong for Women, Phoenix Alchemy Qigong, Yi Jin Jing and Eight Energy Circle Walking.
The teachers I have trained as an instructor with are listed below:
- Joe Lok of Natural Energy Academy, Hong Kong. 2014: 'Phoenix in Graceful Clouds of Blessing' Daoist Qigong.
- Wang Hai Jun of ChenTaiji Academy, UK. 2013: Chen Silk Reeling, Chen 18 Form and Chen Laojia Yi Lu (74 Form).
- Tina Chunna Zhang of Earth Qi Gong for Women, New York, USA. 2010: Earth Qi Gong for Women.
- Faye Yip of British Health Qigong Association, UK. 2014: 8 Pieces of Brocade Qigong.
- Liming Yue of the Tai Chi Centre, UK. 2010: Chen Silk Reeling, Chen Tai Chi, 8 Pieces of Brocade and 5 Animals Health Qigong (Chinese Health Qigong Association).
- Emergency First Aider, St Johns Ambulance. 2022.
- ZSA Suicide Awareness Training. 2022.
- Safeguarding Level 1 & 2. 202, 2021.
- Enhanced DBS. 2015, 2019 and 2020.
- Instructor membership with the Tai Chi Union in the UK. 2011 - 2016.
- Member of Awakening Dragon Taoism. 2013 to date.
Professional / Academic Study
- Classical Feng Shui consultant. 2008.
- I Ching astrologist. 2008.
- Adult education teacher. 2004.
- Bachelor of arts degree in liberal arts.
- Foundation degree (FdSc) in rehabilitation.